Chicken cacciatore is an Italian classic, but it’s easy to get wrong. The chicken can dry out, the sauce can be too sharp or too bland. But this easy chicken cacciatore recipe is practically fool-proof. Succulent chicken breasts in a rich, tasty tomato sauce, served with just-cooked pasta. It’s a healthy, low-calorie chicken recipe, too, coming in at just 350 calories per serving. This easy, healthy family dinner recipe is also a great way of getting even the pickiest of eaters to enjoy a variety of vegetables.
You can make the sauce and freeze it, too, making it an easy weeknight meal. And you can make the whole recipe in the slow cooker if you want less prep at dinner time.
Should You Use Fresh or Canned Tomatoes?
Honestly? It’s up to you. I use fresh tomatoes in this low-calorie chicken cacciatore recipe, if I have them. I’ve also been known to use frozen tomatoes – they make a great tomato sauce base. But they tend to be a little more watery, so if you go this route, reduce the water in the recipe by about 50mls. Home-canned tomatoes are my next choice, because it just makes sense to use your own produce if you have it. Failing that, store-bought canned tomatoes work perfectly.
Just make sure they contain only natural ingredients – preferably just tomatoes. And for the best results, don’t use flavored canned tomatoes – you’re going to add your own easy, delicious seasoning for this really simple chicken cacciatore.
1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 red onion
- 1 large pepper
- 100g zucchini
- 4 garlic cloves
- 50g celery
- 2 15oz cans chopped tomatoes
- 100g broccoli
- 100g carrots
- 100g green beans
- 100g mushrooms
- 50g peas
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- pinch chili flakes
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 75g pitted olives
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 8 oz dried pasta
1. Preheat oven to 375° (190°c/Gas 5)
2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottom casserole dish or dutch oven over medium heat. I use an enameled cast iron dutch oven for this recipe (see the product recommendations at the end of this recipe for the exact one.)
3. Finely chop the onions and garlic until soft and lightly browning.
4. Add the chicken and cook, skin-side down for 5 minutes, until skin is brown and crispy. Turn and seal the other side of the breasts.
5. Finely chop the rest of the vegetables and olives and add to the pot.
6. Add the tomatoes, stock, and seasoning and stir well.
7. Leave the pot uncovered until it starts to boil.
8. Cover and bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes.
9. Check chicken is cooked through, and when it is, serve over your favorite pasta.
10. Grate a little parmesan over the top if you wish.
TIP: Mix things up a bit and give this healthy chicken recipe a bit of a kick by adding chilies and a splash of Worcester sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: